How we can work for you
Our particular skills are kiln-fired painted stained glass and stained glass design:
- We design and make new stained glass windows, doors and skylights.
- We restore stained glass.
- We teach and lecture.
The studio is near Ludlow (Shropshire, UK). There are two of us – David Williams and Stephen Byrne. (Our backgrounds: here.)
When we can help you, please contact us here.
New stained glass windows, doors and skylights
We make new stained glass windows and stained glass doors or skylights in any style: traditional or modern, figurative or abstract – whatever is right for you and your chosen building.
- For example we’ve designed and made 24 windows on the north and east face of a castle tower.
- Also 4 lancets for the Chapel of the Holy Spirit at Wellington College, Berkshire.
- Before that we designed and painted 16 skylights for a London mansion.
Each project – different.
This work we do for you is one-off (not mass-produced) to suit your wishes and the requirements of your particular building (old or new).
Stained glass restoration
We take on difficult restoration work: for instance, where complicated painting skills are required or where you want perfect forgeries of broken ancient glass.
Clients sometimes send us antique stained glass they’ve bought at auction in Paris or London, sections of which we re-paint or re-furbish as required.
Please see here for stained glass restoration.
Working with other stained glass studios
We work with other stained glass studios – designing, painting or restoration – either in our studio, or we travel to them.
For example, David Williams worked with The Reytiens Glass Studio to help paint the Diamond Jubilee stained glass window for Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. David was present in Westminster Hall on 20th March 2012 when the Queen addressed both Houses and the window was unveiled.
Across the Atlantic: we recently collaborated with Californian artist, Souther Salazar, for a stained glass installation in a private house.
Please write to us here if you have a project you want our help with.
We focus on teaching stained glass painting techniques with an online training centre here.
Our students travel to us from Australia, all over the USA, South Africa, Norway, Belgium, Canada, Taiwan, Kuwait, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Germany, Japan (students from the Muraoka Studio have flown to us three times), Denmark, Singapore, France, the Republic of Ireland and Peru. Also, from all over the British Isles.
We give workshops or lectures abroad:
- In 2011 and 2012 we gave seminars in the Netherlands which were attended by professional glass painters from Holland, Germany, France, Belgium and Romania.
- In June 2014, we taught an advanced glass painting workshop at Bryn Athyn College, Pennsylvania.
- We gave two workshops at the annual conference of the American Glass Guild’s annual conference.
Our next US trip is scheduled for midsummer 2018.
Williams & Byrne Stained Glass
When you have work we can do for you, please email us.